return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Primo and dog spiders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt J. on April 20, 2000 at 19:39:34:

In Reply to: Primo and dog spiders posted by Bob on April 20, 2000 at 17:28:06:

: Matt, I am aware of two spider shipments. The first containing those primo ultra beautiful specimens, the second contaning those bottom of the barrell, tired, emaciated dogs. (Pity the fools that end with any of those!). Do you happen to know, re. the first shipment, were there all three subspecies or just P. a. arachnoides and P. a. brygooi?

As fas as I know only the two. The third is on it's way apparently, but I have not heard of any arrivals yet... Did you happen to hear how and where they collected the first group? I heard two stories and one is SO unbelievable, I almost believe it!!!

: I think the cost to the importer was somewhere around 200 bucks, tacking on all the expenses, probably another 200 each. If the importer is into them for 400 add profit and the cost to the jobbers is somewhere at 500 - 600. They aren't getting rich off these. Am I far off in these assumptions?

Close, BUT they are being landed a little less and shipping is pretty low based on size and boxes, etc... A few people are actually making a bit off of them, but the rest are not.

: Even if I am off on the cost per animal, I cannot see any material price reduction for future shipments.

The rumor mill is rolling that they will be a "regular" yearly export now. With that I would expect the price to drop. If they were not plentiful over there, do you think they would have allowed export? I think we may see more, but I have been wrong before! :)

: I also bet, despite his protestations, Prank is all over this deal.

Hehehe... no comment! :) I make no public judgement of what people say or do...(well, I try not too) I know that a lot of anti-export people will be buying these as fast as possible and then offering CB babies at the expos for $2k. Seems to happen every time. Oh well, that's the way it goes...

Later...

Matt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]