return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Spider torts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt J. on April 19, 2000 at 19:15:52:

In Reply to: Spider torts posted by Dave on April 19, 2000 at 12:33:47:

: Great lakes has a pic of a pair on the classified section. This pair looks pretty old and worn out. The pair that I got from Freds Pet Center is much nicer, with more striking coloration and a chiseled texture. Great Lakes pulled a classic bait and switch. They post a cheap price for future inventory so people will back out of any potential deal with someone else. Once you are committed to them, they raise the price ( now $1800 ). To seem honorable, they trot out the ugliest pair they have for the original offer price (1400). This is why I am a loyal customer of Fred's. His animals are of great quality, and he doesn't give you any BS.

Dave,

A good friend of mine was in Miami two days ago and saw the next group of Spider torts first hand that Fred and the rest of the wholesalers/retailers will be buying. He has been in the buiz longer than most (since the early 70's) and passed on all but 4 out of a sizeable group! Also, if you guys knew what they were actually being landed for you would probably be having fits of rage! The wholesalers are making a SERIOUS killing off anyone buying these things! Granted they are rare and NO, I do not want to rain on anyone's parade, but the truth is the truth. I would pay no more than $550 to $650 a pair... And that would even be a stretch!!! But if yours are in nice shape and you are happy, that is what counts! Best of luck with them.

Matt

p.s. - There are pretty strong feelings that these things will be making it here in a few more large groups and prices may fall big time... Closer to "reasonable" rates. We'll see.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]