kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks everyone for the information/advices - more...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Bill Griffin on March 04, 2002 at 14:36:11:

In Reply to: Re: Herpes Virus Infection Associated with Lymphoma in Testudo posted by Debbie on March 03, 2002 at 16:12:35:

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts and advice - unfortunately she passed away last night - before I could get her to the vet today. I will take her to the vet for an examination/explanation - if possible, as a precaution, and to prevent any other sicknessess in my collection.

As mentioned before, she has been with my for around seven or eight years, and has never been sick before. What I think happened was that she did not hibernate in the house like the others, and she must have gotten a cold during hibernation - I will make sure this year that they all hibernate in the house.

I was able to examin her mouth, and there was a lot of sticky mucus present - I will be interested in hearing what the vet has to say.

Thanks again.

: Bill,

: The herpes virus, in my experience is activated in stressed specimens. Groups of seemingly healthy tortoises can carry this virus symptom free and when stress is introduced into the equation the animal becomes ill and displays many clinical symptoms. I have not seen puss in the oral cavity of tortoises that I have worked with during outbreaks of this virus. Dehydration is a main concern because the animal has a difficult time swallowing because of the possible involvement of the esophogus. Many times because of the depressed immune system bacterial organisms take over and can lead to septicemia and death occurs as a result. Animals carrying the herpes virus showing an outbreak are very often stressed due to innappropriate environmental conditions,the outbreak of another illness, etc. The virus itself usually doesn't show symptoms unless one or more of these conditions are present and death usually occurs from bacterial involvement or dehydration, in my experience. You said after a few baytril injections the respiratory infection seemed to have subsided. A few injections of antibiotics in my experience is never enough to cure a respiratory infection and many times antibiotics can be needed for weeks and months.

: Herpes virus can lead to neurological impairment. Symptoms include a twitching of the head. This twitching may or may not be caused because the herpes virus is present or neurological impairment has occured. I have seen this in animals as a result of a quick response from being startled. It is a symptom when noted that I pay particular attention to in the animal.

: In my experience with this virus I have seen deaths from the wasting away of the animal. Muscle deterioration occurs, loss of the use of the limbs, weight decline and severe infection have always been present; many cases septicemia has been present as well.

: There are antivirals that are used in children with viruses such as chicken pox. It is unknown from my understanding whether the use of these meds has really any benefit in treating outbreaks of the virus in tortoises. There is no cure for the virus and the only treatment for the virus is to treat the symptoms and supportive care of the animal during an outbreak.

: It is possible that your tortoise doesn't carry this virus and is only suffering from a severe respiratory infection due to hibernation. It is not uncommon if tortoises are not hibernated at correct temps to come out of hibernation with respiratory infections. Parasitic infections, if present prior to hibernation can also be a problem, but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like antibiotics are needed as is supportive care.

:
: Debbie

: : She doesn't look to good, although she is breathing, and her legs withdrawel into her she when you touch them. I let her sit in water today, she did not drink, but I think the water was a help. Her eyes are a bit sunken. I will continue my research, I was able to get some Flagyl into her - thinking maybe a build up of parasites over the winter, could be the cause - I will just have to wait until the vet gets to see her - that is if she lasts until tomarrow.

: : Thanks for the advice/help.

: : Bill Griffin

: :
: : : It could be as you suspect as far as the breathing.
: : : Another consideration is something neurological. There are some parasites that can cause neurological problems. I've seen similar behaviors on two occasions. The outcome was not good.
: : : Ed

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]