return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: A Couple more ?'s for Marissa and everyone else

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Giovanni on April 17, 2000 at 14:51:39:

In Reply to: A Couple more ?'s for Marissa and everyone else posted by Chad on April 17, 2000 at 12:44:19:

: Ok i figured i was goin to need a bigger container so off to the store i am headed for build me a 3x2 cage for the little guy, hell ill loose him in a cage that size, he so small.

It's a good thing your building a cage that size,
it will last you a couple of years.

: but i was wanting to know for those of you who keep babys indoors do you set up grazzing pans with grass, is it ok to use regular good ol fashion yard grass , was figureing i could just set up 2 pans and swap em out every so often and let em grow back.

That's exactly what I do. I use a rye grass mixture, although if you want to buy some online
go to www.turtlecafe.com.

: 2nd ? Every care sheet i read has conflicting information i am trying to care for the little guy with all my heart but the basking spot temps should be what. Some care sheets say mid 80's some say 90-95.

Everybody has their own opinion, my regular temp
is between 80 - 77, my basking area's are 90 and
100 (2 levels).

: The cool end of my little guys cage is 80 degrees but i have it warm side at 88-90 right now is this where it needs to be.
: and as a Hatchling (6-8 weeks) should i soak him daily or 3 times a week...

I would do it daily for at least ten minutes for a
lot of reasons. 1 you want to teach it to eliminate during the soak, 2 you want to make sure
it doesn't dehydrate. G.sulcata by design isn't a big consumer of water in the " Let me dunk my head
in and drink" sense, they absorb it through their
colacha ( I know I didn't spell that right) or
get it from their food. I've never seen my G. sulcata drinking from the water dish, but I have seen it grabbing a quick swig during a soak.

: and he hides alot in his little box, is this normal?

That's what they do, stuff it with some rabbit pellets and it will dig it out to get in. Then
fill it back up, it will dig it out again..etc..etc.

: thanks in advance

: chad

Hope my 2 cents worth helped.

Ciao'

Giovanni

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: