kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Activity cycle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Rollin on May 12, 2003 at 07:43:39:

In Reply to: I'm a new tegu owner too! Please read about tegu behavior. posted by reptilian9 on May 11, 2003 at 22:32:50:

Congrats on getting a tegu! I know exactly how you feel. As you found out the worst thing is you don't get to see enough of them. After I got mine I didn't see him for almost a day so first thing I dug him up. Then after a month he went into hibernation for 5 months! It's a good thing I gave up on trying to get him up everyday before he wasted away to nothing. He just wouldn't eat when he was trying to hibernate. I still don't know if the reason he went into hibernation is because I kept digging him up, probably not. I haven't dug them up after they got done hibernating, they wake up every day on their own. One of mine stays up for 3-5 hours, the other one will be out 5 hours a day in 1 or 2 hour blocks over a 10 hour period. They go bask and sit around inactive in their cage for a hour or so, then they come out of their cage and actively hunt around for food, they settle back down after they eat. If you want to hear that he'll be out more often after he gets older then yep mine have been, as they are more at ease with me they tend to sit out (inactive) instead of in their hide box. I can tell mine stay up 10 hours it's just a matter of how much of that time is in the hide box. Mine still try to walk out of my hands about half of the time I try to pick them up.
Another thing is when someone stops by to see them and they aren't up. What I've done is keep them in a room where they can't hide and keep them up until the visitor gets there. When you do this they actually get more active and less defensive because they are just looking for a den. But they'll loose their appetite too.
What I suggest is that you get another tegu if your cage is big enough hehe. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]