kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

tame tegu

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Rollin on April 28, 2003 at 12:35:23:

In Reply to: tame tegu posted by oitoyourmother on April 28, 2003 at 11:35:10:

Grats on getting a tegu! Mine are the same way they like me to cater to them. The thing is you don't want them to associate your hand with food (if you're dropping it or setting it down in front of him). Have you tried feeding him one then putting the bowl under his nose see if he starts eating from there instead? If the food's not alive you could try putting it on a similar plate then sliding it up to him. You might want to wait like a day and a half to see if he gets hungry enough, if he looks like he's got enough fat a day without feeding won't hurt.
Mine was skittish too right after I got him he'd run at the slightest movement. It's good that you can sit in front of the cage without him running that was the hardest part for me. I would think the next step would be to pet him. Even now a lot of times I'll put my hand in front of them then pick them up when they walk over it. I wouldn't grab on to him if he gets scared and tries to run. Is he from the July 2002 white headed batch? How much has he been eating?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]