kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Here's what I do with mine...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Blakes_girl on April 27, 2003 at 14:23:56:

In Reply to: columbian B/W ? posted by coolcritter on April 27, 2003 at 06:03:55:

Hello! I have a colombian black and white and I love him. I've posted a few times before about what I've done with him when I first got him so I won't go into that again. I honestly believe that if you put the time and effort into the lizard and get them fairly young (I haven't had any experiences trying to tame adult colombians) that you can get them to be as tame as you want. I've worked with three youngsters total including my Blake. As long as you put the time in and have plenty of patience (there will be days when it seems like your tegu has taken five steps backwards) you will get a nice tegu. Blake is an absolute doll and though he does have his days (who doesn't?), I can let pretty much anyone handle him without worry.

As far as diet goes, I'll give you a run down of his weekly feeding schedule (definitely add some crickets into the diet for the youngsters and I'd go ahead and dust them with MinerAll every time I fed). Blake would eat crickets for about the first month that I had him, after that he totally ignored them.
Sun. - 1 chunk of freshly thawed, raw, lean ground turkey with
crushed bone meal sprinkled on top.
Mon. - 1 chunk (chunk meaning a chunk of food equally a little
more than he can eat in one day) canned Natural Balance
(very great quality all natural food) dog or cat food with
Herptivite sprinkled on top.
Tue. - 1 chunk of thawed, raw, lean ground turkey with Rep-Cal
calcium powder prinkled on top.
Wed. - 1 pre-killed adult mouse.
Thur. - 1 chunk of canned Natural Balance dog or cat food with
MinerAll sprinkled on top.
Fri. - 1 frozen cube of tegu smoothie (I'll give the recipe at
the end of this post) thawed.
Sat. - 1 chunk of thawed, raw, lean ground turkey with
crushed bone meal sprinkled on top.

So basically I just keep alternating the days of raw meat and canned dog or cat food and keep alternating what supplements I put on them. My four supplements are MinerAll, Herptivite, Rep-Cal calcium, and crushed bone meal. However, I do keep his Wed. and Fri. the same every week.

You might be wondering where the fruits and veggies are in his diet. Well, since he won't eat them strait out I mixed them into his smoothie. The smoothie recipe is: 5 whole eggs, 1 mango, 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 tspn bone meal, 1 tspn MinerAll, 1 tspn Herptivite, and 1 tspn Rep-Cal calcium. Then I poured it into an ice tray and froze it. Blake absolutely LOVES the stuff!!

I hope that that helps you out some.

Lindsay
:Hi, I am thinking of getting a few of these. how often are you suppose to dust crickets for them ? and as babies what will they eat ?
:And i have been reading that they have bad personalities,
:how bad are they ?
:thanks for any info.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]