kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My new Red Tegu...Pics and questions...need your opinion!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Ericb02 on April 12, 2003 at 15:49:06:

In Reply to: My new Red Tegu...Pics and questions...need your opinion! posted by mnlobrien on April 10, 2003 at 18:28:57:

:I recently (three months ago) purchased my Red Tegu. He/she is AWESOME. He/she eats everything (whole rodents turkey fish fruit...you name it!), has had great sheds, and is totally personable. I am purchasing a proven pair of reds and now I really need to determine the sex of mine. I purchased it as a female, however it has spectacular color. It dosen't have the biggest of jowels and I am unsure about additional secondary sex characteristics. I have heard of spurs, but that they are more felt than seen. I have also read that they can be probed, but I am unsure of how to do this. (I know how to probe a snake but I don't know if its done the same for lizards) I have bred hundreds of various Pythons, assorted Agamids, and water monitors, but this is my first dealing with Tegu's. I would really like to know how to determine sex...or at least have a more educated guess. I loaded a bunch of pics of him/her on my site, please look at them and tell me what you think. (Sorry for the long load time but I have a lot of pics posted) Again...thanks for any help you can offer!

:

Hi, it looks like a "she" to me. just because of the head structure, and jowls, but every animal is different, some take longer to develop jowls than othere. Here is a picture of my male, you can clearly see his jowls in the picture.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]