kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Temperment Question for Baby Red

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Rollin on April 11, 2003 at 22:06:28:

In Reply to: Temperment Question for Baby Red posted by nemoray on April 11, 2003 at 08:38:43:

:I assume his behavior is like that of a baby king snake. They are jumpy and flighty as juvies, but become calmer and tractable as they grow. Is this "normal" behavior for a baby tegu. I do not wish to stress him. He has no problem with me being in the room or sitting next to the enclosure, but reaching in scares him pretty well. I assume with gentleness, and patience he will calm as he grows. Am I right? Thanks.

:Ray Nemoray@aol.com

Your right they naturally do get much tamer with age. Not only that but they are quite smart for reptiles so they also learn that they don't have to worry about you. It's normal for a baby to do this and is probably a good sign. If they are in bad shape they'll get docile and nonreactive as I'm sure king snakes would. Consider yourself lucky you can sit next to the enclosure without him getting nervous, that's the first step. Try not reaching in from above him if possible, mine feel more secure if I approach with my hand at their level. Don't be too worried about scaring him. As long as he has a hide spot and he doesn't feel that your infringing on him while he's trying to be secure by cornering him.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]