kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sinking the New Code

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by Richard Wells on March 11, 2002 at 00:55:14:

In Reply to: Sinking Nomen oblitums under the new code posted by Scott Thomson on March 07, 2002 at 13:54:23:

Hello Scott,

There was nothing inaccurate in my post regarding older synonymic names and I suggest that you read it again.

Dr Wuster's comments were good...and of course accurate on the finer points of the application of the Code in regards to such 'problems'.

I trust that your sole reliance on the literal and legal interpretation of the Code in such matters may give you comfort and indeed strength in your responses to others. However, don't insult my intelligence by conveniently ignoring how the Articles of the Code are being manipulated to destroy the prior work of others.

Despite its obvious strengths, the Code AND the Commission have failed miserably in numerous matters that have ultimately undermined the task of naming organisms.

I believe that the Code has been effectively hijacked by a handful of control freaks whose basic objective is to orchestrate who does what in taxonomy.

I shall soon be writing on the Code of Zoological Nomenclature and the actions of certain Commissioners and their lap-dog taxonomy groupies over the last 25 years. And I respectfully suggest that you and others think very carefully before embarking upon any more crusades of suppression and control.

I saw your other nonsense in relation to a list of approved journals in taxonomy. Far from creating stability, this would be the perfect act to unleash total chaos in systematics.

Oh and by the way Scott, your example of Varanus varius was well chosen, because as you obviously know it has a real earlier senior synonym - not a 'hypothetical' one. That the name hasn't been erected to replace varius by me has not been because I was afraid of any possible resulting instability. I am not all worried by change, as I adapt rapidly, and move on in my understanding.

Yours Systematically,

Richard Wells

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]