kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: WW You Missed your vocation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by WW on March 08, 2002 at 03:49:10:

In Reply to: WW You Missed your vocation posted by Raymond Hoser on March 07, 2002 at 16:04:09:

: You've read the original paper and know
: that I looked at many specimens, not just one.

There is no evidence whatsoever in the paper that you yourself looked at a single specimen.

If you had done, you might at least have supplied a holotype that you had actually looked at, and thus supplied us with such trivia as the sex of the specimen and the number of ventrals and dorsals.

You mention various specimens in European live collections - and yet can only cite an e-mail or a letter from Weitzel to discuss the behaviour of the critter - if you saw them yourself, why not discuss your own experience? You certainly told us plenty about your own dealings with the specimens concerned in your P. pailsei description.

And why didn't you take your own photos of all these specimens you looked at, instead of relying on Klaus Roemer's and Marra's? You are a good photographer (credit where credit is due), and I find it hard to believe that you would visit all these collections and examine all those snakes without taking a single shot of any of them.

If you can prove me wrong, then good for you, and my apologies, but until I see the evidence, I will stick to what seems like the more parsimonious explanation to me.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]