kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Not trying to kill the forum.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by Wulf on February 17, 2003 at 16:26:03:

In Reply to: Re: Not trying to kill the forum. posted by steno on February 17, 2003 at 15:18:01:

Hi Steno,

:"There are some good people on this forum"

:Yes, and Wulf is one of them...I don't know another taxonomy enthusiast that share his "discoveries" between tons of scientific papers all around the world in a web-site about that topic: Herper's digest.

Well thanks for the compliment but hey, I'm not a "good one" on this forum or in taxonomy in general only because of the fact that I'm collecting and saving some files I found in a database and sharing them on a web site. Herpers-Digest.com actually started as a personal thing because I didn't have much fun in always bookmarking the links and searching for some ebooks. So I collected them and after all I thought it would be a good idea to share this.
But actually that doesn't say anything about my knowledge in taxonomy or so. The more I read the more questions I have and some things still stay unclear to me but what I was asking myself is why do professional taxonomists deal with different answers for one question when they actually should have known the right answer already? Was it just another point of view?

i.e. Stimson and Underwood (1990) simply ignored the fact that some indo-australian pythons are different from each other in some morphological characters but they did lump them into "Morelia" whereas others serperated them again giving more evident arguments. I don't know if I pointed it out clearly, but were Stimson & Underwood perhaps bad taxonomist?

:"My point was that the primary literature should be the place to start"

:Your point written in this way is good and clear, maybe there has been a sadly misundersting. Not so important now. Peace.

Well folks, take it easy. As we three are perhaps a native speeker, an italian (steno) and a german (me) guy, I guess it can happen that something isn't pointed out clear.

:"On the contrary I want people to express their opinions on the subject"

:Well, here we are!

Yes, that's what I was into when starting the topic!

:Cheers

::
::

:
:
Cheers,
Wulf

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]