kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Questions and answers...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by Eric on June 26, 2002 at 12:01:53:

In Reply to: Re: Questions and answers... posted by Travis on June 26, 2002 at 00:41:42:

Travis,

Yes the popular literature and vernacular can benefit from this, but if we don't adopt it in scientific literature why would they? Standard lists cannot be enforced in the the popular literature or in the vernacular. Anyone can publish a list. On the other hand IF the societies and the editors choose to do so they can enforce one in the scientific literature, then the popular literature and vernacular can follow. Maybe this is a matter of opinion. But that is mine and I'm sticking to it.

: 2. I have been informed by at least one editor within the Big 3, that he will not be forced to adhere to any single list of standardized names.

Like I said, IF the editors use one list it will be successful. If they don't then we are skuck right here arguing over whose list is better. Yuck!

>>Yet, since the Big 3 are publishers of one of the competing lists, you reasoning appears circular. In effect, a restatement of its only premise.

Premise: We as scientists who write for journals published by the big three, in order to better communicate, I think we should follow the standard names list that is backed by the "Big 3"
Premise: Crother et al. is backed by the big three.

There is no circularity in this argument.

The big three are backing the Crother et al. list not because they published it, they published it because they think it is worth backing. Am I wrong on this one?

Cheers,
Eric

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]