kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I haven't seen the paper...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by Sacha Korell on April 15, 2002 at 22:00:16:

In Reply to: Re: I haven't seen the paper... posted by BGF on April 15, 2002 at 18:41:56:

You would think that the absence of a gland would warrant a major distinction, but you may have noticed that this partial revision was only on the Old World species. Maybe Notker (or whoever is covering the New World species in this revision) is taking that into account. I didn't even know that this was the case until you mentioned it in the "Rear-Fanged Forum", BGF.

As for my opinion, I am not a scientist, but only a herpetoculturist who keeps and breeds various Elaphe species (mainly Old World), and can only base these opinions on external morphology and behavior in captivity (which really doesn't count for much compared to such an extensive study).
I can only mention what makes sense to me as an amateur:
- Coelognathus makes sense. Species in this group are all very similar.
- Oocatochus rufodorsatus (finally!)
- Rhinechis scalaris; I keep and breed these and they are very different from other Old World Elaphe species. They actually remind me of Pituophis.
- Most of the other groupings make sense to me as well, except that I would have thought E. mandarina and E. conspicillata to be more closely related. Also, E. porphyracea somehow looks different than most Elaphe with their long, narrow heads.

I think Notker and the folks at the University of Switzerland have done a fantastic job, and I know that this revision has been in the making for years (and is still ongoing). I am very much looking forward to the next "chapters", and to see what the future brings for this Genus.

WW and BGF, please post a comment or two in this forum once you have had the chance to read the paper. Both of your opinions are always welcome here (by most readers ;-)

Best regards,

Sacha

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]