kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Underwoodisaurus husbandi confirmed as a valid species

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by Richard Wells on April 04, 2002 at 01:14:58:

In Reply to: To Richard Wells Taxonomist Extraordinair posted by Grant Husband on March 30, 2002 at 05:56:03:

Hello Grant,

Note the title. In case you haven't heard the eastern population of Underwoodisaurus milii that Ross and I named in your honour has recently been examined genetically and guess what...it's a separate species from milii...what a surprise!
Apparently, the NSW NPWS made some money available for someone to check out the validity of many of the species that we described from eastern New South Wales in light of the conservation implications of having these mostly isolated taxa being ignored. A whole swag of species have been confirmed genetically, but really they were all quite distinct morphologically. It appears that a paper or report is in preparation at the present time and as soon as I get a copy I'll let you know more.
On other matters, how the hell are you going? I've been meaning to phone but I just never get around to it. I heard that Marshall Black was in Sydney recently but by the time I found out he had gone back to Darwin - I hope he is going OK...Give him my regards if you see him around the cages. Tell him that I still have my meteorite (22 kg!! - at this size, it's almost an asteroid!) and I managed to get the paper on Australian meteorite sites - As expected, it shows that they fall fairly evenly over the Continent, but the really interesting thing is that the map shows where the lowest records occur - and this probably means that limited searching and/or locational difficulties have reduced recovery rates in these areas - One area worth checking out is the Top End - Forget Reptiles Grant - Get out there and start collecting meteorites - They are worth an absolute fortune if you are lucky enough to find the right type.
Anyway, I have got to go and pick up Catrina from work, so I'll try and catch up again soon.

But finally...May the squalid God of Capitalism pour untold riches into your deserving pockets!!, so it's best regards from your old friend

Richard Wells

: Gday Richard
: Long time no speak.Your input has made this forum really worth looking at. Look forward to seeing more of your work. Drop me an email some time.
: Regards Grant

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]