kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How I got my Ball Python

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]

Posted by Jennifer on July 29, 2001 at 12:22:46:

Ok, I know ya'll will probably think I am lying (everyone else does) but this is the complete truth.

June 7, 2001 at about 1:00am I heard glass break and my mom yelling for me. I didn't know what the heck was going on so I ran out of my bedroom to her. She was standing in the doorway that leads to our backyard with a flashlight. I saw the dogs having a fit about something in the corner of our yard so I followed the light and all I could see was a huge a$$ snake. Thinking that this snake was poisonous I called my dogs in and got them into the house and checked them for bites. When I saw that there was no bites and they were ok I locked them in my room. Now while I was doing this the snake decided that he wanted to come inside too. So he was slowly making his way up to our house. Mom ran outside with a bucket and I followed with a heavy block. We covered him with the bucket and put the block on top and called my dad who was away on a fishing trip. He must of turned off his cell phone because he didn't answer. So we called 911 and asked them if someone could come pick up the snake. Of course, no one would so we were stuck with a huge snake (at the time we didn't know what it was) for the night. My mom decided that we should try to identify it and if it wasn't poisonous then we would set it free. So we go out there with a pet carrier and a shovel. We take off the bucket and there he was coiled up so perfectly. My mom, being a biology major and having worked at a vet's office said that it was a pet snake of some sort. So we gently coaxed him into the pet carrier and rigged it so he couldn't get out. We put him in my mom's bathtub and covered the vent trying to make it as warm as possible in there. That whole next day I stayed on the internet learning how to take care of snakes and trying to identify what kind of snake we had. I finally decided that we had a ball python and seeing that they didn't get very big I just had to keep him. Anyways, when my mom got home we went to a neighbor's house that lived right behind us and asked them if they had lost a snake. Well, the man's eyes got about as big as doughnuts and he said yeah, that the snake had been gone for 3 months!! Then he later told me that it was a ball python *grins*. So we bring him to our house to come and get the snake and he said that he was gonna take him to a pet shop because he didn't want him anymore. Well of course, I wasn't gonna let that happen so I told him I would take him. My mom was too shocked to protest. Anyways, he took him back to his house and we made plans to come and get him when my dad got home cause he needed to help carry the 50 gal. tank. When I called my dad that afternoon he was a lil intoxicated so he said yes (boy does he regret it now). And like 3 days after finding him Ozzy came to live at my house. That same day we fed him a rat and he ate it!! He's a lil piggy, in the month or so that I have had him, he has eaten 5 rats! We think it's because he didn't eat the 3 months he was out in the wild. Now, he is back on schedule eating about every 2 to 3 weeks and we have noticed how much stronger he is. My dad, well he doesn't like Ozzy too well and he refuses to come in my room now *grins* but it's all gravy! I am very happy with my lil man and I plan on getting more reptiles in the future. Sorry to make it so long but I thought I would share my story with you cause I think it's kinda neat!
Jennifer

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]