kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Recapturing loose snake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]

Posted by Buddy Grout on July 19, 2001 at 22:55:56:

Hi,
I have a large not too friendly black rat snake. He was loose a couple of weeks ago, due to my carelessness. I caught him down the street when some excited neighbors called. I didn't tell them he was mine. They were so happy that I saved them from the viscious monster. Anyway today I picked up an injured squirrel from the road. Since my snake is wild caught I figured why not see if the snake would eat it. He has eaten road kill before. I guess he wasn't dead enough because he chewed a hole through the snakes screen cage top. I go out after a couple of hours to check on the snakes progress eating the squirrel. The snake was gone the squirrel was gone. There was a squirrel sized hole in the lid. I started looking around up and down. I spot the snake about 25 ft up in my oak tree. Being 44 years old and 230 lbs I figured no problem climbing up and getting my snake. I used a ladder to get started. There are a lot of small limbs which get in your way when you are climbing.After about ten minutes of climbing I reached the snake. I know he was happy to see me because he kissed me on the face once and the arms and hands a few times. Now I have my snake in hand and am about 30 ft in the tree he had climbed higher as I was trying to capture him. I didn't feel secure enough to climb down with one hand so I lined him up with an opening and dropped him. He went about half way down and caught a branch. I hurried down recaptured him. Got bit a few more times. Dropped him again to the lowest branch climbed down to the ground. Grabbed him again got bit some more. I fixed his cage and put him back.I looked up in the tree and saw a squirrel chattering. I think he was laughing at me. Buddy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]