kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

You have any other snakes/reptiles? N/P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by guitarguy on June 19, 2001 at 18:23:37:

In Reply to: My first corn... posted by Kat on June 19, 2001 at 17:52:19:

: My last guinea pig had died, and I decided I wanted a different sort of pet. Remembering stories my mom told me about when she used to keep garter snakes, I decided that I wanted a pet snake to replace Frosty. So, I went down to the only pet shop that had small snakes at the time (it was midwinter). After talking with the salesgirl, I ended up buying a gorgeous corn and a 10 gallon setup for him. I also bought a book on cornsnakes so I'd know how to care for him.
: The next day, on the advice of the pet shop salesclerk, I went out and bought some crickets for Prowl (since the clerk insisted they didn't eat mice until they got bigger). I put the crickets in the cage with him, and they promptly jumped into the water bowl and drowned. So I went out and bought more crickets. Same thing happened. I figured that Prowl must not have been hungry, since he wasn't eating just yet, so I'd wait and buy more crickets later in the week...
: Well, a few days later, Prowl was missing from his tank. I searched everywhere for him, but no snake to be found. So I logged online and started searching for info to help me find/catch my poor missing snake. Fortunately it was snowing that week and so he was likely still in the house. It was at this point I learned that yes, even baby cornsnakes eat pinky mice... Well, almost a week later and still no snake. So I went out and bought another cornsnake, figuring that Prowl was probably lost for good, and that if I ducttaped the lid of the cage, I could probably keep this one from escaping. Well, no less than two days after I got my second corn, my mom walked into the house at night and spotted Prowl warming himself on the tile floor (our tiles are heated from underneath). We caught him and put him back in his cage. It's kinda funny easily how one corn can turn into two... ;)

: (And now I have 7 corns and am getting two more in August. ;)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]