return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Sleepy Yet?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on September 25, 1999 at 12:29:59:

In may of '97 I flew to Texas from Florida to spend the next 11 days snake hunting in Del Rio and all of the Big Bend area. The day I arrived in El Paso I rented a car and drove to Lajitas where I was to stay the night and drive to Del Rio the next day. On the way to my hotel in Lajitas, I found my first Trans Pecos ratsnake in the middle of the road. I was so excited that I must have said "holy s#@t about 20 times before I even got close enough to pick the snake up. Anyway, after looking at the snake and taking pictures and video I left of my way to the hotel. After checking in I went back out to look for more snakes. Well after only being on the road for no more than 20 minutes I started falling asleep at the wheel. I wanted to keep looking but the excitement I had experienced the night before that kept me from sleeping was doing me in. I drove back to my room and crashed. The next day it was off to Del Rio. I was going to hunt Juno Road and possible 277. I had decided that morning that I was not going to have to turn in early because I was tired. I was going to buy some No Doz to keep me awake. So at 7pm that night I stopped at the local Circle K and bought some caffine pills. I started hunting Juno Rd at about 8pm and at 9pm I took a No Doz just in case. By 10:30 I had not seen but 1 snake (Bull snake) and I was getting a little worried that I would not see anything. So I took another No Doz just in case the first one was going to wear off. At 12am I still had not seen any more snakes and figured I would stay out until I did. I took another No Doz. Again, this was just incase the one prior was wearing off. At just past 2am I still had not seen another snake and felt wide awake. But, just in case that last No Doz was about to wear off, I took another No Doz. At about 5am I couldnt believe how awake I was. I began to notice that I felt like I had butterflies in my stomach and that I was very anxious. I just thought it was because I was getting kinda mad that I hadnt seen any snakes in about 8 hours. So I drive back to my hotel room and realize that I am not one bit tired. I wanted to do a few things during the daytime so I figured I better try to sleep alittle. I was lying in bed when it dawned on me to look at the back of the bottle to see what the suggested dose was for the No Doz. The dosage read "Take 1 half to 1 No Doz every 3 to 4 hours to achieve wakefulness". I was totally shocked by this and a little embarrassed. I knew exactly what I had done. I work as a firefighter/paramedic and consider myself to be a somewhat intellegent person. I run on people who take overdoses of their prescripotion medications because they didnt pay attention to who much they are supposed to take. Knowing people who have used this product before to keep themselves awake for studing, etc. I just took it for granted that it was no big deal. I forgot to mention that when I took these pills, I was washing them down with Mountain Dew. Probably the most highly caffinated soda on the market. I layed in my bed that morning for about 2 hours tossing and turning. I got up went across the street for breakfast and then went out to do whatever it was I was going to do. I saw a Movie, did some hiking, watched TV, etc. The day flew by and before I knew it, it was time to go out again and look for snakes. I wasnt going to take anymore No Doz. As it turned out I didnt have to. I stayed out till about 2:30 am when I finally became alittle drosey. From now on I will always read medication dosages before taking them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]