return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Coming of Age Aggressiveness for All Common Kingsnakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Brown on March 16, 1999 at 05:27:29:

In Reply to: Coming of Age Aggressiveness for All Common Kingsnakes posted by Justin G on March 11, 1999 at 21:20:12:

Over the years I've kept Cals, Speckleds, Easterns, Floridas, Blacks and Deserts. I've got most of these types now. In my opinion, you've got the two worst for grabbing anything that moves and not letting go. They are also the most cannibalistic I've seen - I once got a pair of Speckleds from a friend in Mississippi and, upon receiving them, dumped them in a cage together and went to another room to read the notes he'd sent with the snakes. The first thing he said was, "Never, but NEVER keep these nsakes together - they will eat each other!" Well, I dropped the note and hauled butt back into the snake room, only to find (you guessed it) one fat snake with two tails - one in the normal location and a second one protruding from its mouth. The Cals I have now I have to handle with gloves (they've tried to eat the gloves!) - they do the same thing you described - grab hold and hang on for up to 30 minutes. And they're big enough that, after that much time, it's gotten pretty messy. I haven't found anything that'll get them to let go. It's strictly feeding response - the only time I get into their cages is to feed them, and they know it. After they've fed, they can be handled, carefully. My Deserts, Easterns and Floridas are a different story. They've got the same feeding response, but once I pick them up, they're fine, especially my big Floridas (5 ft +) which handle nicely. If you want a "nicer" getula, try a CB Florida or Eastern - you still have to be careful, but they can be handled without requiring later blood transfusions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]