return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Loss of a primo site.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marcus Moran on November 03, 1998 at 17:45:05:

In Reply to: Re: Loss of a primo site. posted by Erik on November 02, 1997 at 05:00:50:

: : : : Lost a concentration of species in Northern Va to the developers. Copperhead, hogsnose, watersnake, blacksnake, racer, ring-necked, worm, red-bellied, and dekay. Box, painted, snapper, and musk. Spotted newts, bullfrogs, green, pickerel, wood, and cricket, along with the toads. Gone .
: : : This wasn't some fly by night encounter. I had encountered a string of habitats that supported just about everything you can find in the Mid-Atlantic deciduous succession/power line field environment. Granted, prime spots were on the south facing lies of the watersheds but what a concentration of critters. The only animal I removed was a yearling kingsnake (which stills thrives). Who thinks to relocate before its too late. Do I relocate the next 3 mile salvo of animals or just find the colonies and wait around until the carnage strikes again?? Word?

: There was a site in north Texas near Denton Creek in Tarrant County that I used to visit nearly every day for the five years that ,depending on the time of year.It was the most copperhead infested place I have ever seen,one day me and a friend counted fourteen in a two hour period,five in one pile of boards!I found a few prairie kings,Great Plains Ratsnakes,Speckled Kings,Texas Ratsnakes,a Bullsnake,a coachwhip,several racers,ribbon snakes,numerous diamondback and blotched watersnakes,western and three-toed box turtles,ringneck snakes,lined snakes,spiny lizards,whiptails,anoles,treefrogs,and various other amphibians.I removed the bullsnake,a prairie king,two speckled kings,an emoryi,and a neat looking texas rat.Last time I talked to my buddy he said there is a subdivision there now.I'm glad I didn't have to see what it looked like when they got through with it.I could go on all night about the places here in Alabama,where I live now,that have been destroyed due to clear cutting,strip mining,or housing developments.I really hate to think what it'll all look like in a few more decades.

I lived in Glendora Ca. in the foothills of southern Cal. Two miles to my south was a set of hills refered to as south hills. These hills were sorounded by the town. One could find kingsnakes by the dozens on any warm day or evening. Every other local spot kings were rare. So the geniuoses at city hall decided to turn these hills into subdivisions. For three years I raced ahaed of the tractors collecting kings. We relocated them in the foothills a few miles away within the boundries of a state park where they would be safe. I still wonder if that was the right thing to do. How much damage it may have done to the local snake population there. But I could not watch all those beautful kingsnakes be needlessly destroyed. At least now they had a chance. I would do it again if I had to.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]