return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Misunderstanding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SNYDER on September 02, 1998 at 16:31:01:

The pen for my Texas Alligator Lizards is ten steps outside my window. Sixty steps further in the county park, past a screen of trees, is a deck looking out over the river. The park is supposed to close at dark, but hey, if folks stay around to make out, drink a little beer, or just hang out, who cares? I had a 55 gallon drum beside the lizard pen that I kept crickets in. One night at about 11 I heard a noise and looked out with a spotlight. There was a big old racoon, sittin' on top of the barrel, scratchin' the screen, trying to get in to steal my crickets. Now imagine the tone and words that a man who has worked the waterfront in Houston for 20 years would use to address a thieving animal. I hollered, "HEY, YOU ****ING COON, GET YOUR SORRY A** OUTA THERE." The racoon promptly complied. But from the park came the voice of an angry black man saying, "Who in the HELL do you think you're talking too?" Ooops!
So I got my clothes on, went out to the fence, and talked to him about lizards, crickets and racoons. He wasn't buyin' it, and wouldn't come over to talk. Finally I went and got a lizard, held it in the light of the flashlight and told him he could be mad or see the truth. He came over first, then his lady--- and we all went away smilin'.
Thank goodness it wasn't the defensive line of some football team!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]