return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: stupid feeding errors......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mmike on July 06, 1998 at 15:27:40:

In Reply to: stupid feeding errors...... posted by amy on April 08, 1998 at 00:18:51:

: The past 3 hours have been very eventful for me. I made my trip to the rat store to buy food for my snakes. I bought my usual amount of animals, 2 medium rats, 2 mice and 1 large frozen rat. I got home, and started feeding my animals. My kingsnake, I feed in his cage. I fed him the first mouse, no problem. I fed him the second mouse, he struck, missed, latched onto the plant that's in his cage, and attempted to begin eating it!
: After laughing at him, and informing him that he was not a vegetarian, and, even if he was, the plant was fake, I touched him near his tail, and he let go.

: I should have taken that as an omen of worse things to come...

: After feeding the kingsnake, I got my large boa out of his cage, and put him in the container I always feed him in. It is a large, 33 gallon rubbermaid container. I put a towel on the bottom, trying to 1) give him some type of traction and 2) try to keep him off the not-so-warm plastic. I thawed his rat, put it in there, and closed the lid.
: I have fed him in this manner several times, and never had a problem. After about 15-20 minutes, I opened the lid, to check on him. He was just then getting around to paying any attention to the rat, so I closed the lid again.

: I gave him another 20 minutes, then checked him again. I was annoyed to find the rat still sitting in the container, and it took me a minute to realize that not all was right...

: I realized that although the snake had not attempted to eat the rat, he was in the process of eating the towel. After staring in complete disbelief for a few seconds, I ran up to my brother's room, to get my friend.
: didn't even tell her what was wrong, it was rather difficult, at the time, to put it into words. I didn't think she'd believe me..."mindy, my boa is eating a towel". sounds too absurd, so I just grabbed her, and ran back downstairs.

: She got ahold of one end of the snake, I got the other, and gently put some pressure on the towel, to see what would happen. The boa opened his jaws a little, and the towel slid right out, I was barely pulling on it at all...

: I checked the boa, and he seemed to be having problems getting his jaw realigned. In fact, as I write this, I still don't think it is back where it should be. The snake, right now, is back in the container I feed him in...sans towel.
: If his jaw isn't back to normal by morning, he will go to the vet. well...he will probably go to the vet even if his jaw is normal. I can't say that I have ever, in my entire life, had any experience with a towel eating snake.

:
: Guess there is a first for everything. First, my kingsnake attempts to eat a fake plant. Then, my boa tries to eat a rather large towel.

: I have learned my lesson, I can only hope they have learned theirs!! :)

did you hear about the boa that ate its heating pad?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]