kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My Florida Softshell turtle died.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by rudedogsurfrat on January 08, 2003 at 23:06:20:

I live in Southern California but on a recent trip to Houston I purchased a hatchling florida softshell. He was so cute I could not resist. We named him Gargamel after the bad guy in the Smurfs. Gargamel started in a 10 gal. and has since gradutated into a 55 gal. He lived with other turtles and was just the sweetest thing. Great personality and never caused any problems. Gargamel had the biggest most curious eyes and his front flippers reminded me of paws. He was like a dog that lived under water. Gargamel spent alot of time under the substrate in the tank like most softshells do.
On Friday I left town to Snowboard 6 hrs north of where I live. I unplugged the heater to slow the turtles metabolism down (where I live it was 80 degrees on Monday)and left them plenty of food. Tuesday night when I got back I did a quick check on all of my animals. Like most of you I tend to collect things. Gargamel was nowhere in sight. I figured he was buried again and went to sleep. At 5am this morning when I got up, still no Gargamel. I called my girlfriend and had her check for him since I was at work. She couldn't find him either. I felt sick and thought the worst.
When I got home from work I lifted the store bought plastic aquarium decoration and found his lifeless body inside of it. Those things are hollow and dangerous. I felt sick to my stomach as I broke the news to my girlfriend.

Gargamel was one of our favorites.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]