kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

**read me** looking for help with conservation efforts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Society Forum ]

Posted by Dean Alessandrini on February 25, 2002 at 10:14:35:

As some of you may know, funding for the eastern indigo snake research project on Kennedy space center in Florida was unexpectedly terminated as of December, 2001.

The ultimate goal of the project was to collect sufficient data to create a population viability analysis that will enable the successful creation of habitat modules throughout the range of the indigo.

To date, this is the most aggressive project involving the attempted recovery of wild indigos snakes.

Like all of you, I would hate to see this project end incomplete because of lack of funding. One of my initial thoughts was to call on herp societies and individuals to contribute to the funding the remainder of the project.

As I thought about it…I came up with an idea to help ensure the success of such a campaign:

Many herp societies pay big bucks to get speakers of interest in to perform programs. I have a program that I have prepared, with slides of both the Kennedy space center project, and of captive indigos, reproduction…etc. I will be happy to do programs for societies within driving distance of my home (Cincinnati, OH) in exchange for a contribution to the cause. I can’t however, travel around the country doing such programs. That’s where all of you come in.

If I can line up a network of you throughout the country willing to do the program, I could loan out the slides…and you all could get personally involved in this effort. So…If you have an affiliation with or are close to any herp society, and are willing to do a talk…then you’re in!

While making money to help save indigo snakes, you will be contributing to the education of many folks about these animals.

Here are some of the things the money is needed for:

Intensively continuing to track and x-ray females
Trying to locate nests
Capturing and researching and tracking juveniles
Answering wild indigo reproduction questions
Conducting genetic studies on populations.

It’s about time to get the herp community some good press right? If / when this happens, I will do my best to get publicity to the effort…i.e.… “Herp societies nationwide work to save endangered snake” etc etc.

I’m looking for all input right now…and those willing to step up and volunteer.

Dean Alessandrini

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Society Forum ]