kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Crazy, crazy night, big red takes a walk...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Accomplice on January 10, 2003 at 21:45:35:

I finally went and grabbed that 6 foot, 175 lb log I've been meaning to get for my turt. We picked it up and carefully set it into the stock tank at an angle. One end is up at the top of the tank and the other end is at the bottom. We smashed the little filter vent thingy on the inlet part of my pump in the process. Back to the pond store tomorrow. A bunch of misc. wood bits and small insects rose to the surface as the log sunk into the water. I figured it was good fish food. We shut the incomplete lattice lid. The log's high end was near an open area of lattice but it looked like he wouldn't likely push the thing open. So then we all go to dinner for at least an hour. We come home and they laugh at me when I go out to check on the turt for the umpteenth time in the last day. I shine the light and can't see him. I hear some scrapping noise about 50 yards away. He's booking it across a side street in the neighborhood. Nuts! I go running with his tub and take a deep breath as I have to grab this naughty monster yet again. I notice that he has a big carpenter ant on him. When I get back to the pond a pile of huge ants is floating or walking around the tank along with a HUGE skink (8 inches long fatter than your big toe). Wierd. All these wacky critters were living in this log.

So I realize my trip to Home Depot for more materials can't wait. I put him back in the stock tank and screw the lid down to the frame along with some additional boards across the incomplete portions. In the morning I'll get this thing finished. Crazy night. Now I keep freaking out when he crams himself under the log even though I know its what he's supposed to do. I keep thinking he won't be able to free himself. Should I cut the log in half and know that he'll always be able to move either portion but take away his ability to get completely under it?

Kevin

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]