kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: another Question for Teepee

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by nine0proof on January 08, 2003 at 21:47:56:

In Reply to: Re: another Question for Teepee posted by teepee on January 08, 2003 at 17:50:18:

Thank you for responding. I hope you stay active on the forum, I would like to talk to you again. Thanks again. :I live in PA, but since wild collection of eggs is illegal here, I always collect on the reservation(permission granted)in NY. The majority of snappers nest in the middle of the night. A few start as early as 6pm, but most do not start until after 11pm. I rarely go during the laying times as I do not wish to hassle the adult females. I was taught years ago by Seneca Indians how to find turtle nests. I have gotten so good, that I can pick up a handful of dirt that I think is covering a nest and pick up the slight scent of turtle eggs, which in my opinion have a distinct smell. Its one part Indian taught, and one part experience.
:My incubation studies center around global warming and its effects on turtle incubation. I have found that some species are so sensitive to temperature, they will most likely go extinct if global warming continues on its same path. The North American wood turtle is a prime example of a species that is extremely temperature sensitive. They are quite common in my area, but are quickly vanishing from other areas. Most would blame it on human expansion, but I think the truth lies in temperature. The sturdiest turtle is the common snapper. You can have a wide range of temperature, temperature fluctuations, extreme drought, and they still will hatch with less than 0.01% defects. The only thing that I find that destroys their eggs, is drought(or low incubation moisture(not humidity)) in the first month of incubation.
:Mike

:

::I also have a question for you Teepee. What state do you do this study in. I read that you are in the north. I live in PA, I was just woundering how close you are, and what type of incubation studies you are doing. I have been very interested in the nesting behavor of common snappers for the last few years.

::
:::I get a few commons that are colored like the ones on page 4 and 5. I wouldn't consider them albino though. I have had three commons that are the exact same color as your alligator snapper.

:::

::::Sorry Gamera for answering too but have you ever checked out this link?
::::http://www.chelydra.org/albino_pg.html
::::At the very bottom it shows a good picture of an ally snapper with a pretty white shell and white head. But not pink eyes. It also shows a better pic of what my ally snappers look like. Since the ones Accomplice sent in for me look kinda fussy. They came out better in the gallery though. I guess cause their smaller pics there. Now my Ally Snappers don't have a white shell they have more of a light tan colored shell.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]