kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Rare color found in only 1% of hatchlings...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by teepee on January 05, 2003 at 21:43:53:

In Reply to: Re: Rare color found in only 1% of hatchlings... posted by Accomplice on January 05, 2003 at 20:58:47:

Since there is considerable interest in the color varients, I will hold these back. I do incubation studies, and I normally just release the hatchlings into the wild(eggs are collected from wild). I have promised a few already, for anyone else interested, I can send them to any interested parties, if you pay the shipping. All I ask is that they not be resold. I have seen some of the color varients offered elsewhere for over $1,000. In some years, I can have as many as 15 hatchlings that are not normal colors depending on how many eggs are collected. These probably have a low survival rate in the wild anyway. I have yet to hatch an albino, but the genes are there in the area I collect from, as an albino hatchling was found. I however will keep any albinos, unless I get a few. The remaining will be given to those who actually breed snappers.
Nests are collected before the coons get them as the coons destroy about 95% of the nests in my collection area. I have never kept any of the hatchlings myself, but I have had some friends keep some of the white/tan variants. Sorry, but I have not taken any pics as my interests lie in the incubation rather than the turtles themselves. I have just discovered this board late this year otherwise you might have been able to get some of these variants for your collections for free this year.
Mike

:Mike,

:Thanks for the heads up. Does anybody have a pick of these milky white/ tan ones? Or a pic of the pink-skinned/ orange ones at 8+ inches?

:Kevin
::No they don't turn yellow, they usually end up looking orange. The yellow looking ones come from youngsters that look milky white/tan
::Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]