kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: vet needed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by tortvet on November 04, 2002 at 08:15:38:

In Reply to: vet needed posted by saci on November 03, 2002 at 09:06:47:

:today I found a tape worm coming out of my snappers cloaca. I
:plan to take him to the vet ASAP I just moved and need to find
:a reeptile vet, so if anyone could give me the site to find

Hi,

I'm going to tackle your question in several segments in order to be thorough...

First off, to locate a reptile veterinarian in your area, I would strongly recommend the following site:

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Locate_a_vet.htm

It has links to a number of sites that maintain listings of reptile vets in your area (including the wonderful herpvet connection).

Secondly, I would recommend taking in a stool sample to your veterinarian. If your animal has tapeworms, it may have other parasites and since you are visiting the vet, it would be good to clear everything up all at once. You could also take the "tapeworm" in to have them do a squash preparation to be sure that it is indeed a tapeworm. Unfortunately tapeworms don't always show up on fecal exams.

Next, tapeworms are found fairly often in wild caught aquatic turtles (or turtles fed wild foods) and due to not always showing up in routine fecal exams, are often missed.

Lastly, while the internet can be an excellent resource for information, be VERY careful about believing everything you read. And above all, do not self medicate your animals based on information found on the web. There is no one cureall dosage nor drug and there is a LOT of bad information on the internet.
For one example of this, check out the link listed below.

Dr. Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]