kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

first snapper of the year

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by anuraanman on April 13, 2003 at 21:38:54:

Ok, so I was out in a pond looking for some woodfrogs when I noticed an unusually shaped rock on the bottom of the pond (only about 10 inches deep). To be safe I grabbed a stick and gently poked the rock and flipped it over to reveal a head, four legs and a tail. Unfortuatly it was dead, but, being dead I wasted no time grabbing it up and carrying it to shore. I took it up to my house and pressure washed the shell to get algae off. When I did this I noticed something remarkable. It was the same turtle I had seen exactly one year ago today. I recognised it by a bullet wound at the edge of the shell and some shell damage behind it's head. Last year I had seen it literally underneath a turtle three times it size on land. (a territorial dispute???) Well it is clear who won in the long run...lol. I got some photos, any ideas what killed this beast? It can't have been dead for too long, unless it was frozen in ice I immagine it died this spring, but since the pond is vernal it had no water prior to this spring. Here are some pics to give you an idea of what shape the turtle was in. Oh, forgot to mention it's foot was swollen.

I'll try putting some pics up as a follow up, let me know how you think it died after you check out all the pics.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]