kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Tank size alligator snapper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by MikeST on March 26, 2003 at 08:43:40:

In Reply to: Tank size alligator snapper posted by hraaij on March 25, 2003 at 07:11:00:

:Hi.

:Can anybody tell me what the minimum tank size should be where I can keep 2 alligator snapper hatchling for say the next ten years? Would I need a big basking area?

: I honestly wouldn't think of it in terms of a tank that will work for 10 years. Your snapper is going to be quite a bit bigger and need a lot more space than it does now.
I'm not an expert; but here's how I raise my hatchlings and the last 3 years batches are doing great.
Right now the small guys are in a 20 long tank. I got it at Pet-Co. They called it a turtle tank because one of the sides is shorter. Its nice because you can use an outside filter with a lot shallower water.

My water depth on the small guys is only about 5". I've seen feed-back of people that keep it at 8-10" . That will work fine, but I always believe that with newer animals and fish; I like to make it easier to get the food. I don't want them to have to work too hard for it till they get a little bigger and hardier.
I never use any gravel in my snapper tanks. They're just too dirty and it makes it a lot easier to clean . Just a few nice rocks and some plants .
There is no reason to put them in a large tank that will work ten years from now. Thats way too much space.
My yearlings are currently in a 30 gallon long tank, and they have more than enough space for the next year or so.
Hope this wasn't confusing. E-mail me direct with any more questions.I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.
:Can you post a picture of your tank so I can get an idea?

:Thanks in advance.

:Hans

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]