kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: getting common snappers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by turtleguy316 on January 30, 2003 at 16:03:12:

In Reply to: Re: getting common snappers posted by Accomplice on January 30, 2003 at 15:52:46:

im not sure i will ask him,
yea i have the airborne expess site.
thanks
jess

:I remembered that trappers in Louisiana can't take any alligator snapper from the wild that has less than a 15" shell. That would be what a 35+ lb. turtle. Your best bet is to stick with the commons or buy a hatchling that's been captive bred. Shipping shouldn't be that much. Perhaps airborne express has a site that you can go to to put in both zip codes and get an estimate.

:Kevin

::yea i thought about it alot last night.
::i am still gettting 2 commons.and if he finds an ally thats about 10 less or more,i might get it to.
::im just worried about the commons and the reach they have,lol
::i know how to hold but still worried,lol.i called the guy about the northerns im getting,im not getting cause the farmer he went through isnt reliable,so im getting 2 commons,but there already sold,so i will have enuff for shipping for the adult commons.
::do any of you know how much shipping would be for about 50 pounds?from louisiana to tx.
::thanks acomplice
::jess

::

:::Jess,

:::I'd give a lot of thought before getting a larger alligator snapper (remember that the little ones become big ones after a while also). I'd owned a few common and alligator snappers over the years before getting my 60 lb. alligator snapper. He is NOT a turtle for novice keepers. They require a lot of space (at least 300 gallons), a lot of food (several rats/ chickens per week), and can be scary to have to deal with (can take off fingers/ hands/ flesh/ etc.). I'd stick with commons for a few years before jumping into a large alligator snapper.

:::Kevin

::::wait im going to get a male and female common,and maybe a 10 pound ally.
::::thanks
::::jess

:::
:::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]