kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

speaking of climbing (in)ability

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by Brian-SFCRC on May 11, 2003 at 01:34:36:

In Reply to: speaking of climbing (in)ability posted by J-Cal on May 10, 2003 at 20:35:57:

SOUTHERN FLORIDA CORUCIA RESEARCH CENTER (SFCRC)

Hello Justin,

If I understood your question correctly, yes, it is normal for a Corucia to have a downward curve in their claw and have a onion ring type growth. I have never had to trim a Corucia toenail to improve climbing ability. The SFCRC's opinion is that trimng is not necessary period unless one is determined to handle their PTS on a regular basis.
I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
Brian
SFCRC

:Speaking of climbing ability in PTS or even lack thereof, one of the females that I've had for almost 2 years now seems to have a continuing toenail trimming problem. Every 3-4 weeks we have to trim her toenails because of the way that they curve as the grow in order to allow her to continue climbing. When we go to trim them tho it seems like an outer layer and the about end half just "pops" off and a "perfect" nail is left. Is this normal, or do they typically grow more similarly to other reptile nails and bird nails? Next time I have to trim I'll share a pic. Thanks,
:Justin

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]