kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Blind PTS (long sorry :-) )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by Brian-SFCRC on May 03, 2003 at 00:04:49:

In Reply to: Blind PTS (long sorry :-) ) posted by Brian-SFCRC on May 02, 2003 at 23:59:31:

SOUTHERN FLORIDA CORUCIA RESEARCH CENTER (SFCRC)

OOPS!

2). Hopefully, can get find another male. ---> Should be female.

Sorry,
Brian
SFCRC

:SOUTHERN FLORIDA CORUCIA RESEARCH CENTER(SFCRC)

:Hello Justin,

:Don't apologize-long is good.

:The SFCRC has had many neonates all successful full term healthy individuals -no slugs or lost babies due to genetic problems or predation by adults-> so as far as your question after mating after a slug: I can't go down that road. However, I can give you some advice in other areas.

:1). Do a through health check and 90 day quarantine period.

:2). Introduce carefully, the 4 in a new larger enclosure. Do not put the new pr into the circulus territory of the existing pr. Battles will surely result. If you have 2 males in those 4 there is virually no way you can establish a new Circulus with 2 males. You may have to settle when your chosen male with 2 females and keep the remaining male alone. Hopefully, you will have access to another male.

:3. Your blind female. This could go either way. She still can tongue flicker and communicate that way; but without sight, she and her potential Circulus members could get their signals crossed and fighting may break out.

:Examples:

:Mating-> The male circles the female before mounting. the blind one may move instead of remaining motionless and confuse the Male.

:Tail twitching-> usually this is a male-male thing for territorial challenge; but may be utilized on your female. Since she can't see, Her lack of response or retreat from the challenge may result in attack and loss of Phalanges to go along with her blindness.

:Play of Colors-> Corucia zebrata produce a rainbow shimmering (Hence the Genus name). This is greatest when low level light reflects off a PTS. This coincides with peak crepuscular activity. A Corucia entering another Circulus Territory can see the shimmering in the dense canopy at a distance and can react before being challanged and attacked. Again, A blind PTS is at a disadvantage.
:
:Best advise I can give you, When creating new combinations of Skinks together, don't keep a blind eye. (no pun intended) Watch your Skinks carefully and often. This can't be overemphasized! Otherwise your have PTS with many missing body parts if they don't get along.

:Best of luck. I hope this was of help

:Sincerely,
:Brian
:SFCRC

:

:
::I've had a pair of PTS for about 18 months now and was given 2 more PTS this week in hopes that I could make them do much better than before. To my surprise they both seemed healthy, besides the smaller one being a little thin and the larger one appearing to be blind. It was given to me by a gentleman who had it for four months and had purchased it knowing it was blind. Its VERY large and I'm suspicious of it being pregnant. To begin with, is blindness genetic in any way, whether it be a developmental problem, and if it is possible, do you think it would be innappropriate to keep this individual in a group where it could reproduce? i currently have the 2 new specimens in a seperate enclosure, but later when im sure that they are healthy and fairly sure they arent males (it sure is hard, as a side note i KNEW i had a pair until to my suprise my male was female and female was a male!) i would like to introduce them into a larger enclosure with my other PTS, but thats in the not so distant future. Also as a side, how soon after a PTS has slugs has anyone witnessed further breeding attempts? I observed my pair copulating about a week after the female dropped two large slugs. She still isnt quite as beefy as she was before her miscarriage, but she has gained in the 3-4 months since she dropped the slugs. Any input would be appreciated. Tks to all who reply,
::Justin

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]