kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: WORRIED ABOUT PTS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by jess b on April 21, 2003 at 14:00:55:

In Reply to: Re: WORRIED ABOUT PTS posted by Sherri on April 21, 2003 at 09:41:07:

Hello- thanks for the words of confidence! From reading the description, yes the PTS sounds like it was uncomfortable- but due to what- we can only guess. I had (still have) a female that got distended and arched her back, acted restless, strained ect- she responded to supportive care (soaking, hand feeding, pain medication- x-rays ruled out constipation/obvious obstruction). My big comment on your situation is it is nice to ask questions after the fact in case this happens again, but next time your PTS is having obvious trouble- take it to the vet if this is at all possible! You have a group of rare, expensive and special animals- access to good vet care and use of said care is an important part of responsible ownership. I AM glad your PTS is doing better now.
I can directly attribute my one experience of back arching in my PTS Gertie with husbandry changes (I am sure it was my fault- I moved around the heat sources, including her favorite bask spot). If you want to share your cage specifics, diet, temperatures, humidity info with the many PTS keepers here- I am sure we would love to share compliments or constructive comments.
Best wishes, jess b

.:Yes, I do believe I know what this is but I still will feel more comfortable with Jess addressing you. When the back arches & you have that swaying motion, it is bloating from gas. I dealt with this phenomenon for the first time a couple of months ago & my good friend Susan from PTSkinks had a wonderful phrase for it & that was 'going vertical'! Usually with a couple of good soaks & rehydration, ( I use pedialyte) the symptons will disappear within 24 hours. Jess says that this condition is painful but I have not ever had to resort to using medication. I have since had 3 other females do this which in turn made me re-evaluate the diet (for the umpteenth time. Interestingly enough, I never had any of my males suffer from this. I hope this help but do wait for Jess.

:Good luck,

:Sherri

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]