kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How adorable! One of the babies?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by iwana on April 21, 2003 at 07:59:11:

In Reply to: Being Un-Stessed is Key! posted by Deano on April 20, 2003 at 13:29:41:

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the info. The tribs have actually been in captivity for a while, as the vendor put it, "anywhere between a few months to a year". He had about 8 wild-caught adults that he acquired at different times and had been breeding them for a while. (Evidently, he had already sold all his babies.) So I think it is mostly a matter of acclimating to the new terrarium, rather than acclimating to captivity, per se.

My husband and I realize that we are taking a gamble since we don't know how old they are, but we figured that we could at least maybe get one or two babies. We don't know if this is a standard for tribs, but we noted that the females seemed more active and alert than the males, which seemed more "laid back". At any rate, we picked the most alert-looking and active female and the biggest, fattest male we could find. :-)

The female made an appearance last night, but bolted for her hide spot as soon as she was discovered. LOL We gave them some mealworm beetles but they haven't touched them. Will try mealworms/pupae tonight.

For substrate, I used a mix of peat moss and vermiculite topped with sphagnum moss. Under that, I used a layer of gravel and activated charcoal. This is often used for plant terraria and I've seen it recommended for frog and newt terraria, so I think it will work out well for the tribs, too.

I have been visiting your site often, fine-tuning their environment and making sure everything's adequate before getting them. Keep up the good work! :-)

Hope to have pics soon of Loki and Sigyn. They are so cute! :-D

Julie

:Iwana,
:Give the Tribs time and space, @ the least 5-6 months of just feeding and generally checking up on the pair.
:Hope you got the substrates sorted I have been away, and just got back yesterday, so i could not reply to your message soz!
:Back to the subject in hand, after 6 months of so the trib will hopefully be settled in and a bit less stressed.
:Being un-stressed is the key...
:But it’s definitely worth the wait A just look @ that face :-)!
:DEANO
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]