kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: YES to Lighting for crocodile skinks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by iwana on April 10, 2003 at 17:18:29:

In Reply to: Re: YES to Lighting for crocodile skinks posted by deano on April 10, 2003 at 04:46:30:

Hi Deano,

Wow, so you can get UV bulbs at a discount? Do you keep other lizards besides the croc skinks? If so, they must all be very happy. :-)

I work from home so I will have the opportunity to observe them and make note of when and how often they come out during the day. From there, I will be able to set an on/off schedule for the lights. I do want to provide the lizards with what they need, but can't afford to throw money away, either. :-)

This is the only study I've found that indicates that UV is critical to the captive husbandry of these lizards. I've also read caresheets from people who claim to have bred several generations of these lizards without the benefit of this type of lighting.

Have you experienced the difference between the two, i.e. kept the lizards without UV lighting and then tried it and saw a difference? I am really curious. This doesn't seem to be a commonly kept lizard, but feel that their popularity will grow with time. This will be an interesting caresheet to add to our web site (www.vermontherps.org). I have also looked at your web site and bookmarked it, as I plan to visit it often as you update it. :-)

Julie

:I keep my bulbs on all day, but workin' in a reptile shop I do have access to uv lights.
:Deano

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]