kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

New idea for BRB owners (multiple pictures inside)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The SDHS Forum ]

Posted by Paul Spencer on July 14, 2001 at 22:12:54:

Hi all,
I've recently discovered a substrate called Dri-Dek that seems ideal for humidity loving reptiles. The stuff was made to walk on around pools, but it works great in snake cages too :) It comes in a bunch of sizes and colors, and can be easily cut with a kitchen knife to fit. Thing is ... it's about 1/2" tall, so if you're using a UTH, you can put water under it and let the UTH heat the water and create max humidity, while the animal stays dry. I thought I would share the idea with others, the substrate has some other awesome properties, but you can find out more by following the link if you like. Let me also say that I am in NO WAY affiliated with the maker, manufacturer or distributor! I just thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share the info with you all too :)
Here's a few pics ...

Male BRB sitting on the dri-dek, the water level is a bit high, but you get the idea!

I also made a "hide log" out of a spare piece ... it's smooth on one side and rough enough on the inside to help when shed time comes ... am I thinking too hard? haha!

Tell me that this doesn't create humidity! The humidity meter has been pegged at 100% for 2 days now ... I think he's in heaven :)

If anyone has a question about Dri-Dek, or my BRB "Ra", or anything else .. feel free to give a shout out! :)
Laterz!
Paul

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The SDHS Forum ]