Re: Lystrophis-desperately seeking more info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - South/Central America ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jo ann on September 22, 1999 at 15:08:01:

In Reply to: Re: Lystrophis-desperately seeking more info posted by Adonis Tate on September 22, 1999 at 11:39:42:

: : Hi-I am trying-seems in vein-to find any info, papers, studies, photos of ALL the species of Lystrophis, can anyone help-please e-mail me at tokay@prolog.net

: : Thanks Jo Ann

: http://209.77.39.53/proyectos/cristel/falsacrucera.html
: dorbignyi article with pics
: Translation:
: This inoffensive snake owes its common name to to its display of colors typical of highly venemous species like yaras, cruceras (Bothrops) & coral snakes. They live in So. Brazil, Argentina & Uruguay. At Perla de Rocha (Urug.) it’s possible to see them when they come out of the sand in Nov & Feb. If we come across one, we can probably enjoy its typical defensive behavior (aposematic). It inflates its body and forms the end of its tail into a ring, showing the red ventral color. It hardly bites & is practically inoffensive. It prefers sandy substrates, in which it digs with a certain facility. 560mm including 80mm tail. Females have measured up to 610mm. They eat small amphibs & repts, occasionally insects. It mates starting in Sept & lays Dec up to 10 eggs, which hatch in Jan or Feb. Commonly preyed upon by hawks & owls.

: http://www.ib.usp.br/~afh/25.html Great Pic of semicinctus

: John Coborn (Atlas Snakes World) says eat mainly toads.

: I saw a dealer's site recently claiming to be the only source for Lystrophis. $1000 gets you one.

: An enlightened herpetoculturist might get a Heterodon & a Lampropeltis triangulum, put them in the same aquarium & enjoy all the fine qualities of Lystrophis, & have two snakes to boot!

Thanks you so much is there more :-) wow
thanks you thank you

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - South/Central America ] [ FAQ ]