kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Well, that stinks. How am I supposed to know when to

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by jsm on April 09, 2003 at 08:43:39:

In Reply to: A few thoughts on size and age.... posted by jfmoore on April 08, 2003 at 18:45:07:

bake its little birthday pinkie? lol thanks for your info though. Its appreciated. :-)

:Despite what you sometimes hear, we simply cannot tell how old a snake is by its size. And, perhaps counter-intuitively, I would say that this is even more true with snakes bred and raised in captivity. At least in the wild, you have a whole population which weathered the same conditions for comparison. So if you did extensive capture-mark-release-recapture studies, you MIGHT be able to make an educated guess about one individual’s age.

:In a herpetocultural situation, however, unless you bred the snake yourself, what do you really know about its life up until you received it? Let me give you a couple of examples. The mean individual weight from a clutch of 26 Kenyan sand boas born on 2/4/98 was 10.3 grams (range was 6.4 to 11.2). Over 4-1/2 years later, on 11/9/02, one of these animals (a male) weighed 22.5 grams, another (a female) weighed 48 grams. Had you shown me these snakes and asked for my educated guess, I would have estimated them to be only a few months old. I have another Kenyan sand boa, a female born in 2002, which weighed 15 grams on 10/3/02 and 109 grams less than 6 months later on 3/24/03.

:Unless you bred the snake yourself, you have to accept that even an educated guess by a knowledgeable source may be far off the mark. Just another enigma with these curious creatures.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]