mobile - desktop
Online/Stores/Expos - LLLReptile.com
News & Events:
Posted by serpentdude on April 04, 2003 at 14:57:26:
In Reply to: Re: WATER posted by markg on April 04, 2003 at 14:33:21:
Some municipal water plants use an ammonia/chlorine combination to stabalize the chlorine from evaporating so readily. These compounds are referred to as chloromines (sp?). So depending on what precisely is added to the water other chemicals may need to be added to break the ammonia/chlorine bond. This is a significant issue for keepers of tropical fish. Whether it has any bearing on reptiles I don't know. I might suspect amphibians are sensitive to chemicals of this sort though!?
:Yeah I wrote that. What I should have added is that chemicals in the water could possibly (unproven, but suggested by a few vets I know) illicit a reaction in a weak animal.
:A good guideline for watering small animals like small snakes is to either use bottled drinking water or simply use tap water that has been sitting in an open container for 24 hours (chlorine dissipates out of tap water that has been sitting in the open.) If you have been using tap water and all has been well, then no need to change anything. But if you had snakes having health problems, then I would say move to bottled water.