kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by jasons-jungle on March 24, 2003 at 10:49:07:

In Reply to: question posted by nightdwarf on March 22, 2003 at 00:45:18:

:i have a adult pair of rough scale sand boas , the female is bigger than the male. when do they actually start breeding is it to soon in the year? they live in the same tank and she really looks alot fatter then when i frist got her about a mounth and a half ago,could she be knocked up or is it to early yet? thanks in advance

In my experience, a male will breed at 2 years old although it's possible for an 18-month male to produce sperm and successfully breed. Females usually need 30-36 months to be ready to breed.
It is totally possible to 'power feed' and get snakes ready sooner, but I don't see it as a healthy option. I suppose if I was working with $50,000 morphs, I would be a little more likely to do that to milk the cash cow, but in the end, it's rumored to take life off of the snake. I'd rather wait a year and make sure they are nicely weighted and ready to go than to push them into it.
Have you witnessed any copulation between them? They will lay close together and the ends of their tails will be together. You can check out http://www.jasons-jungle.com/Snake%20Pictures/nf5andnm2copulating02.jpg for a picture of two of my Kenyans copulating.
Hope this helps,
Jason @ Jason's Jungle

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]