kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Should I bother with rocks in the tank for my rosy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]

Posted by heartsx2 on March 04, 2003 at 19:06:33:

In Reply to: Re: Should I bother with rocks in the tank for my rosy? posted by Nicodemus on March 04, 2003 at 18:32:04:

::I just put a very large rock in my Rosy's tank (20 gallon). It's really pretty cool looking - it's odd shaped - the top is curved on one side going from the base to a high point, then almost drops on the other side (like a triangle with a curve). But it also has a tunnel that goes all the way through the base. It doesn't move or shift and is very heavy (originally bought it for my African Cichlid tank but it didn't look right with the rest of the decor). The tunnel underneath narrows quite a bit in the middle so I am going to try to file it down to make the tunnel larger. She fits now okay, but don't want any problems when she gets bigger.

::From your question, Nicodemus, you've made me question my own set up:) I don't want to be sorry again! Thanks!

:
:Chuckle....Don't let my paranoia mess you up too! :)

:Sounds like what you got for a stone is a piece of standard scoria or pumice. It has no real crystalline structure (did you know I majored in Geology in college?) so it is very brittle. If you don't have a round file, you can probably use a large bolt in a pinch. Bolts are usually hard steel alloys, so the threads will essentially work like nice file teeth.
:In fact this is what I used when I was dulling down the hole edges I made in my flowerpot hide boxes. :)
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rosy and Sandboa Forum ]