kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Why are cresteds so messy >>> :o)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Raymond Moreno on October 06, 2002 at 11:58:36:

In Reply to: Why are cresteds so messy >>> :o) posted by Alisha on October 06, 2002 at 01:06:32:

Hmmm...

I don't really understand your question.

Are you asking if they're supposed to be "doo-dooing" in every single space of the cage? (Walls, screens, plants, ground, etc...). Or are you asking if their "doo-doo" is supposed to be of a "runny" consistency?

I can't speak for others, but "Sticky" (my lil buddy), does not eat too much baby food at this point in his life. (Don't ask me why, as I've tried almost every fruit and meat flavor that I could find). And since baby food is not eaten much, his diet is primarily gut-loaded crix. Hence his lil "doo-doo's" are pretty solid...and "stanky"!! (Peeeeewwww...those crix sure do come out smelling different from whence they came).

If the problem seems to be the "runny-ness" of his excrement, try giving him a bit more crix (and solid food), and cut-back on the amount of baby food. This "should" cut-down on his "Hershey's Squirt" consistency.

As for WHERE he poops...hmmm. I don't know about yours, but mine goes primarily on the leaves or on the walls of his cage, which makes it pretty easy for me to find and clean-up daily. But every once-in-a-while, I'll find a piece of "doo-doo" on the carpet of his cage. But that's cool too, as I have a contingency plan for that as well. (I used "Scotch-Guard" on his cage carpeting, making it a bit easier to clean-up).

As for the ACTUAL clean-up...well, I use a 2"x2" inch piece of papertowel that has been squirted with a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol (50% water, 50% rubbing alcohol), and I just wipe up his droppings. This should also help to minimize the germs that may have been present, hence reducing the "stank" left-over from his poops. (But make sure that after you've cleaned the doo-doo, the area is completely dry, as the rubbing alcohol may hurt your little buddy - or buddette).

Hope this helped. (And don't worry - you're not alone. We all have to deal with our little, four-legged, "doo-doo machines").

In Christ: Raymond

:hi everyone!
:just wondering if any of you have tips on how to keep the cage clean. My little guy is so messy! He poops A LOT and likes to do his business on the screen, so it is hard to clean. *sigh* is he just trying to make me crazy, or is it all that baby food he eats? ;o)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]