kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

another solution

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Gina C on October 02, 2002 at 13:36:43:

In Reply to: No BIG PROBLEM posted by Silly-atus fan on October 02, 2002 at 09:23:56:

:: . . . that could hurt the enclosure . . . maintaining humidity - especially in Minnesota during the winter when things get extremely dry.

::That's one thing I did not consider until talking to a breeder (I'm still a Rhac rookie). We'll see I guess.

:
:I have a similar situation in winter, and found an easy solution. The substrate is moist peatmoss, which goes a long way to keeping humidity up. Also, they tend to gravitate to moister areas as needed, and will even use a hidebox affair if things get too dry before I get to mist again.
:Just supply an area with higher humidity where they can hang out. I find a piece of curved bark works, they love to curl up under bark during the day if it's close to shedding. I have a couple that will use a hidebox, others prefer the bark to curl under, and one digs out a hollow under the water dish and curls up in her personal cave.
:As long as they have an area of 'personal space' that's humid enough, it won't hurt them if the rest of the enclosure gets a bit drier between mistings.

You could also go to home depot & buy a piece of something to put around a part of the enclosure. They have these bendable plastic sheets that work well for ths & you can still see your cresties. Just affix it right up against the mesh on the outside.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]