kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

ever hear of SDZ turket diet?...........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on May 08, 2003 at 10:53:21:

In Reply to: ever hear of SDZ turket diet?........... posted by mikecoscia on May 08, 2003 at 06:31:17:

Yeah, I used the turkey diet with my blue tegus. I used rep-cal and herptivite instead. I'm not sure I'm following you with respect to calcium carbonate. How is it hard to find? It is the source of calcium In miner-all, rep-cal, and Herpnutrition.com supps., and many others on the market.

-Bill

:Bill it is in a 2:1 ratio that is what they need. You do not have to worry about excess phosphorus. The animals are not stupid they will lap it up only if they need it. It is when you dust crickets that there is a problem of over dosing because they don’t realize they are eating it. Which is why I suggest leaving it in a bowl. Even if you did it would prob not harm them.

:Ever hear of the San Diego Zoo Turkey Diet developed by Jeff Lemm? If there are any varanid people here I am sure they know what I am talking about. The diet consists of about 2 pounds of turkey, 20 grams of BONE MEAL, and 2 crushed Centrum tablets. It was thoroughly researched and is now a major part of their monitors diet, as is most monitor keepers now. I found out about it when I was keeping monitors, but I also used its supplement mix back in the day when there was no such thing as a good reptile multivitamins. So it is a very safe and useful calcium source. After all to build bone a good place to get calcium is from other bones. I am not saying you are wrong you can use reptile supplements like you said. Just remember they are getting all the other vitamins in it along with the calcium, so you have to be very careful. Calcium carbonate is only useful if milled to a powder. That is a bit hard to find, as I am sure you know and it is also debatable about how much of it is utilized. The course granule stuff could cause impaction because despite what package labels say it is not digestible. So anyway leaving a dish of bone meal is safe and beneficial in case the animals need it.
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]