kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Eh, I disagree a little.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by en on May 06, 2003 at 14:40:38:

In Reply to: Help Me! posted by TheNakedCowboy1 on May 05, 2003 at 21:28:58:

Although others mentioned that cresteds only get to about 10 inches, there are other geckos in the Rhac family. By your size range, an adult R. Leachianus would be a pretty good match. Adult leachies can get up to and over 12 inches, and even up to a pound. They're an impressive sight to say the least.

I'm only a couple years older than you so I understand the budget, and the interest in finding something that can be somewhat interactive. I too built an enclosure for for my first leachianus, and was very proud of my work. Glass enclosures aren't the best ideas for most of the rhacs because it's difficult to keep in the necessary humidity, but I've been guilty of keeping adult gargoyles, and hatchling leachianus in them.

Leachies will most likely fit into your price range too, as you can probably find a hatchling or young animal for $250 at the lowest, and the prices go up from there. As long as you get the care requirements right the first time you'll be fine, and they truly are a pleasure to keep.

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you were talking about when mentioning the "tube feeding", but an alternative of just throwing the crickets into the tank would be bowl feeding.

If you're still interested, do some research on www.rhacodactylus.net as well as doing a search in the rhac archives and the normal gecko archives.

This whole message was a bit general, and disorganized, but it's just to give you an idea of what their care is all about. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask them.
Good Luck

Ian

BTW I included a pic of one of my leachies.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]