kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: humidity question for egg box......not enough?? hard to tell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Gecko2525 on April 21, 2003 at 08:17:13:

In Reply to: Re: humidity question for egg box......not enough?? hard to tell posted by mikecoscia on April 21, 2003 at 07:43:32:

Yes I do believe it was you who told me that perlite/verm can be misleading.

There is nothing on the lid...not a drop or spec of moisture and no I do not open offend. Maybe once every week or 2 weeks to allow for fresh air because I have no holes.

I won't add more water then. I just have the 2:1 ratio because I didn't think it was moist enough. I may try 1:1 next time, but THAT will seem even drier and probably annoy me even more. LOL Oh well.. I give it a try too for my next batch.

I'll hold back on adding extra water.

Thanks,
Liz

:Your medium is a bit to wet for my taste. It really should be 1:1 with water by weight. You risk molding with the amount of water you added, esp with vermiculite. Perlite can be VERY misleading (didn’t I tell you that?). When you first add water it clumps up, however in a day or so it appears dry. It really isn’t though, so you have to go against your instinct to add more. In reality it should last the entire incubation period. Lack of moisture on the lid is not a bad thing (could drip on the eggs and be absorbed), could mean you have too much. You normally see condensation under the medium. However if you do not have that either don’t worry (unless you are opening the lid way to much for it all to leave). Like I said as long as you initially mixed it right you should be fine regardless of what you see.
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]