kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

One more pic of eggs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Gecko2525 on March 16, 2003 at 01:36:08:

In Reply to: Unexpected eggs from not mated young, small, female. ???? posted by Gecko2525 on March 16, 2003 at 01:35:32:

:Tonight (March 15) I came home from visiting my mom's. I went up stairs to feed all my cresteds as normal. I peer into Pandora's cage and there sat 2 bright white eggs staring back at me in a potted plant. SHOCKED and BREATHLESS I stop and actually didn't know what to do. Of course I have had other eggs from my other females, but this female had never been with my male. She is ONLY just turned 12 months (which means she was 11 well developing), she weighs 32g. (gravid then when I weighed her which is SO tiny) and is a tiny 7" in length. She had always been a very small and tiny crested and I didn't plan on breeding her until she was nice and fat, bigger and older. I did not expect these eggs at all. To tell you the truth I didn't think cresteds laid eggs unless they had been with a male. Can they??? I haven't heard of this anyway or it is nevr mentioned. PLUS, I didn't think she was even sexually mature or big enough to have two eggs. Obviously they are not fertile. They are irregularly shaped anyway. Pandora seems to be hovering over them and licking them. I think she is a little confused herself. LOL Either that or protecting them and probably a little proud. :) I decided to leave them in there with her for a few days or until they turn yellow. There really is no point in incubating them when I know they are infertile. Besides she worked hard for those eggs she has the right to have them around for a while. hehe :D I never even thought of putting a nest box in her terrarium because I didn't think she would lay. So she picked the best spot for them. In my potted plant. LOL I'm glad that was in there because she would have had know where to lay them and may have become egg bound. I did think it was a little weird that she had been hanging around the pot the last few days, but they were no other signs like digging. *shrugs* I dunno.

:Well I guess I can put Drako in with her now...seen how she already laid and is sexually mature I guess. I figure if she is gonna lay eggs they might as well be fertile. LOL

:Anyway...is her laying eggs possible without having a male?? I know it happens with some reptiles, but I didn't think cresteds were one of those. And does this mean she is sexually mature and ready to produce eggs?? I certainly didn't think she was ready. Is there really anything I can do? besides changing the tempture, which would be hard considering my other females are breeding and laying now.

:Any thoughts??

:Thanks,
:Liz
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]