kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Some ? on all mesh enclosures.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by ike420 on March 11, 2003 at 13:49:55:

In Reply to: Some ? on all mesh enclosures. posted by Jen C on March 11, 2003 at 13:40:08:

Mesh inclosures are great, but will lose humidity much more quickly than a glass enclosure. This just means that you should use more live plants and mist more.
It would probably be best to suspend a nocturnal red heat lamp above the tank, so the mesh doesn't get too hot and perhaps harm the crestie.
I have yet to see a cricket chew through mesh, but there should generally only be crickets in the tank during feeding time. Try to avoid putting more crickets in the tank than can be eaten by the gecko within a short period of time. If crickets stay in the tank too long, they will feed off of the feces of the geckos, and byt the time the geckos find them, they won't be a very nutritious meal...
And yes, cresties can climb mesh. In addition to their lamellae, cresties have little toenails that grip on to porous surfaces.
I wish you and your friend the best of luck

:At the moment my crested gecko is in a glass tank but I am considering changing to the Apogee all mesh enclosure. Thought I'd do my research first and so have a few questions.

:1. Does anyone here use them and are they any good.

:2. What is the best way to heat them? Under tank heater or lightbulb or both?

:3. Has anyone who uses them had crickets chewing through the mesh.

:4. Can the crested climb the mesh?

:I would be grateful for any feedback.

:Thanks
:Jen

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]